Translate

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Wellbeing Won't Cut It Alone!

I thought by reflecting on my journey during this opportunity; I might clarify my thinking and support others. For myself, I believe that it is not wellbeing alone that made this challenge so manageable. It has been the combination of wellbeing, success and engagement, which has enabled me to come through this period refreshed and excited.

In my head, this has never been a crisis, I have seen it as a challenge or opportunity. I have been fortunate like most educators, I have continued to receive my full income. I am in no doubt if my wife or myself lost our incomes, then this would have become a possible crisis.

Do not get me wrong as I have had many moments of self-doubt, stress and anxiety; however, I have managed to work through these. I have come out the other side fresh and reinvigorated in my purpose and role supporting schools.

How have I done this? Let me take you through my reflections focussing on my wellbeing, success and engagement. At the time, I was not aware I was doing things that supported all three aspects.

I remember a colleague once telling a school staff meeting to ensure student success we needed to look at three parts of an equilateral triangle. These parts were student wellbeing, student engagement and student achievement. Missing one would impact on the others as they were all interconnected.

 Since the earthquakes in Christchurch, there has been a real push for wellbeing. As a result, I think we have forgotten about the importance of success and engagement for improving wellbeing.


The image above is my attempt to understand what these three things looked like for me. 
When I started, I was not sure how to define each, so I went to good ole Google. Here are what I have used to describe Wellbeing, Engagement and Success.



Engagement - I used a combination of resources from TKI Student Engagement Teaching as Inquiry, Universal Design for Learning from Inclusive Education and Ka Hikitia Accelerating Success

I am going to relate them to my own experiences and why I am feeling so positive and refreshed.

Wellbeing

  • Take Notice - One of the simple things that give me joy is having a spa with the family which continued over lockdown.
  • Keep Learning - I signed up to two challenges during the lockdown, one around nutrition and the other the 25 days push up challenge. I learnt many new things which I implemented into my daily routine and enjoyed. I did so much professional knowledge building as I am sure many educators did as I worked through what learning from home required to be successful.
  • Be Active - I maintained my regular exercise program and even added extra with regular walks with my wife.
  • Give - with a colleague; I explored new ways to present content to teachers, learners and whānau online, created resources and shared these with our communities. I connected with friends online, played games with my bubble, supported my wife and children in working and learning from home. However, my wife did most of the learning support for our children while I had online meetings.
  • Connect - I connected teachers and leaders I supported either face to face online or through blogging, email and online support and found this very rewarding and enjoyable. I met daily with our national team for a quick update and participated in Friday online drinks. We connected with other family members outside our bubble. We gave our children access to messenger apps that allowed them to communicate with their friends and cousins.

Success

  • I participated and contributed confidently in a range of contexts to support teachers, leaders, students, whānau, family, friends and new acquaintances. For example, we created a site to support educators teaching from home and I joined a Whatsapp group to support each other in a nutrition challenge. I was involved in numerous video conferences, messages, emails, and phone calls to connect with others personally and professionally.
  • I was a successful lifelong learner completing a nutrition challenge which I gained much new knowledge to support my training and future sporting events. I blogged as I worked through my thinking about the new learnings in lockdown. My children and I learnt lots about how we all work as we came up with strategies to support our learning from home. Once again, I blogged about this to support others who may have had similar issues.
  • I have good relationship skills, are self-confident and can bounce back from setbacks. I can lead while being able to self manage and make responsible decisions to ensure my practices are sustainable. One of the things I did that was successful during this time was creating a routine early on and sharing this with all the educators I supported.
  • I have self-belief due to the knowledge I am involved with numerous individuals and organisations that know what they are doing. I also know how to navigate the online world when I do not know something to access content, knowledge and skills to support myself. I think this self-belief supports me to be confident in my identity, language and culture as a citizen of New Zealand. This confidence extends to fixing a motor on a washing machine, supporting my son through the meltdown of online learning, or changing the way I look at traditional knowledge of food and education.

Engagement

  • Cognitive - I learnt late in my life that I learn best by either doing, watching or talking with others to develop my knowledge and skills.  However, I am also able to draw on other modes of accessing information like text and audio if the situation warrants it. I am lucky the leaders I work with understand learning and therefore provide access to materials in numerous ways. I have been trying to utilise the principles of Universal Design for Learning in my work when supporting others. We had supported our children by looking at the content provided for their learning. When it was not available through the class learning, we found the information in different formats online. 
  • Cultural  - this has been an exciting experience seeing how families and organisations, including my own, have created environments online to promote a sense of belonging. The addition of grid view in a Google Meet helped develop a sense of belonging along with the use of secondary smaller online bubbles for more intimate group work. When learning online, there is a real need to show the organisation's culture and values, what makes your audience think "that is my classroom". Acknowledging culture is an area I am developing and often is left till last as I think about how learners will access the content. However, reflecting on this as I write this, what use is equitable access if the learner can not see their culture or values in the content and choose not to engage?
  • Behavioural - My children certainly had enjoyed the choice they were given and the freedom of choosing when and how they completed their learning. We did have meltdowns when there were no scaffolds as to how to complete the work or support for the students' workflow. I have been allowed the space to work in a high trust model. I had choice and opportunities for how I interact with material and how I want to show that material in my context. I was able to think about what I could manage in my context and then plan my workload accordingly. I had support and guidance from leadership about how to proceed in our daily meetings. The big enabler was I realised with support from colleagues and reading others experiences what was manageable and sustainable. I think some educators who felt their wellbeing had been impacted by Learning at Home did not modify their behaviours. They proceeded to interact with learners the same way they did face to face.
  • Emotional - going into this experience, my colleagues have known me and built relationships with me for seven years. They understand how I work and what support I might need. I think with the work I have done with educators in our online meets has developed stronger relationships. For some, working at home offered an environment with fewer distractions so they could focus on what mattered and changed as needed. It was so awesome seeing my son connect with one of his teachers and the commonalities he found he had with the teacher. Caution needs to be applied, especially in a secondary context as it would be impossible to connect with all your students individually online. I would imagine where educators tried to do this; they may well be exhausted now as we head back to schools.
My personal opinion is that if we solely focus on wellbeing at the expense of the other two, we will end up in a worse position. 
As leaders,
  • Can we empower individuals and groups to manage their own lives by focussing on the five ways to wellbeing?
  • Could we support them to enable themselves to be successful in life?
  • Might we encourage them to engage by considering how we interact with them through material and expectations of evidence? 
Maybe by focussing on all three aspects, we may help to create a  state of being for all that is comfortable, healthy, and happy for the majority of the time.

12 comments:

  1. Kia ora Mark,
    I really enjoy the way that you have broken down the connection between success, wellbeing and engagement. I 100% agree that a focus on wellbeing alone will not provide the results we are after. Thanks for adding in the links you reference in your post - the link to the Mental Health Foundation was really helpful in breaking wellbeing down.
    I also enjoy your reflection on your time in the lockdown - I find myself, like you, in a really fortunate position. I feel like we gained some perspective on the things we find important and so will work to make those continue.
    In most of the schools I have been in you can see the connection between engagement and wellbeing really clearly. The relationships that our teachers have with the students allow them to connect to wellbeing where needed and focus on future actions.
    Thanks for sharing,
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai ora Kelsey,
      I agree it is time for us all to have a reset and hold on to the things important to us. I think those that are in a privileged position need to drive this with the aim of developing equity for all.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Mark, thoroughly enjoyed your reflections about wellbeing, and I agree engagement and success are fundamental to wellbeing. We need to be careful we do not fall into the trap of 'wellbeing' and use this as an excuse for not focusing on learning, engagement and getting back to routines. I believe getting back to routines and learning is crucial for wellbeing, they are not mutually exclusive. Thanks for sharing and putting all these important aspects of wellbeing together in a coherent blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morena Gary,
      We are definitely on the same page with getting back to routines and learning, I guess after this period of new learnings it is critical to reflect on are our routines creating opportunities for all our learners? Do our learners have choice in which routine they wish to participate in? I am sure there are some great discussions to be happening in schools and work places across New Zealand around this.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Mark
    Wow - you've been thinking deeply about this! I totally agree! Our children have delighted in being back, into routines, reconnecting with their friends and re engaging with their learning and being challenged.
    Wellbeing is about all the things you mention in your post. It is not just about doing nothing or playing. Lucy Hone's in one of her many talks on wellbeing refers to PERMA : Positive Emotions, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning and Accomplishments as being at the heart of wellbeinghttps://psychologyprogramblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/the-perma-model-a-scientific-theory-of-happiness/
    Looks like you had all 5 going for you during Lockdown! Following a holistic approach like this as teachers increases children's wellbeing for sure. Understanding what wellbeing actually is helps too.
    Great post Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Jacqui,
      Thank you for taking the time to comment and sharing the link. The PERMA model is another interesting lens and I see it reinforces our ideas of authentic audiences through relationships. Does blogging where we are encouraging connections through commenting also enhance student wellbeing? If not do we need to focus more on the purpose and of why we blog and the meaning behind the learn Create Share pedagogy?
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Mark. I really enjoyed reading these reflections. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm a huge fan of the 5 ways to wellbeing and was very aware of which of these areas I was satisfying during levels 3 and 4. I've been working on making my Cybersmart sessions more engaging and after reading your post I'm now thinking about how I can make sure every student experiences success within a session and across a whole term of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tena koe Phil,
      It is a challenge to engage all learners and Sharon and I have been talking about how far should you go. We can provide different opportunities and choices for learners however there is still a point where the student has to choose to engage themselves. I guess we are looking at how we can keep our lesson layout consistent so access is easy once they understand the layout.
      The next step for us is to look at how we can display the content so the learner see their culture reflected in it.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  5. Very insightful and the issues clarified beautifully. Hearing your personal reflection given your history of coping with Christchurch challenges gives this post authenticity. Will be pointing our Tairawhiti folks toward you blog Mark. Thank you for the obvious time and thought you have put into this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Dave,
      Thank you for your comment, I think it is important that we document our time learning from home as there were so many learning which will be lost if they are not recorded and reflected on further down the track.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete
  6. Mark
    Some good thinking, and my big takeaway is that this is complex stuff. There is no single solution, nor is there any single pathway. Rather, there are multiple pathways, multiple solutions, and what's more different combinations of these will generate different solutions, even if applied to identical circumstances (which of course never exists in different schools). I do agree that the wellbeing/engagement./achievement triangle is a good lens through to which to look at our work. As we look at school wide change as leaders it is easy to forget to lift our eyes above the parapet and see that bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Robin,
      This is complex stuff. I agree with you around multiple pathways and solutions. Just the same way we can offer our students content through a Universal Design for Learning approach do we need to replicate this when we look at change for our teachers and whānau? I see you are already modifying how you communicated the complex situations with your community by creating short videos.
      Even through some of this is complex stuff our solutions can be small and simple for a start to get the ball rolling.
      Nga mihi,
      Mark

      Delete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about